Red Post Collection
- FeralPony: Masteries in Season 4
- Socrates: Preseason League Improvements
- IronStylus: Caitlyn VU
- 20thCenturyFaux: Heimerdinger’s Rework
- SmashGizmo: State of Olaf
- Xelnath: Meta Breaking
- Movement speed passive reduced from 4/7/10/13/16% to 4/6/8/10/12%
- Slow reduced from 24/30/36/42/46% to 24/28/32/36/40%
- Shield AP ratio decreased from 0.9 to 0.7
- Bonus AD reduced from 14/23/32/41/50 to 14/22/30/38/46
- AP ratio for bonus AD on shield decreased from 0.33 to 0.1
- Shield ratio increased from 0.7 AP to 0.8 AP
- Damage ratio decreased from 0.5 to 0.4
- Bonus health increased from 250/375/500 to 300/450/600
- Damage lowered from 500/625/750/875/1000 to 400/550/700/850/1000
- Now returns 3 health on hit
- Renamed to Brace of the Mountain
- Renamed to Shield of the Rakkor
- Active now deals 50 magic damage (still applies a slow)
- Attack damage increased from 25 to 30
- Now returns 3 health on hit
FeralPony: Hey folks! This is FeralPony wanting to give you guys a quick heads up on the Mastery Changes coming to PBE so there aren’t any surprises when it happens! It’s very possible that changes will come to these masteries as we move forward with the Pre-Pre Season as it chills on PBE for a bit. So everything is of course subject to change! Though as usual feedback is welcome and appreciated. Also apologies in advance if I messed up the format I’m getting used to this new forum just like you guys
So without further delay!
- Feast (1 Rank) – Each time you kill a unit restore 2 health and 1 mana
- Fury (4 Ranks) – Gain 1.25/2.5/3.75/5% increased Attack Speed
- Sorcery (4 Ranks) – Gain 1.25/2.5/3.75/5% Cooldown Reduction
- Butcher (1 Rank) – Deal 2 additional damage versus minions with basic attacks and single target spells (does not included Damage over time effects or Area of Effect spells)
- Doubled Edge Sword (1 Rank) – Melee: Deal an additional 2% damage and receive 1% additional damage. Ranged: Deal and recieve an additional 1.5% damage
- Brute Force (3 Ranks) – +4/8/12 Attack Damage at level 18 (+0.22/0.44/0.66 per level)
- Mental Force (3 Ranks) – +6/12/18 Ability Power at level 18 (+.33/.66/.99 per level)
- Spell Weaving (1 Rank) – Damaging an enemy champion with an auto attack increases your spell damage by 1% stacking up to 3 times. (Max 3% damage increase)
- Martial Mastery (1 Rank) (Req Brute Force) – +5 Attack Damage
- Arcane Mastery (1 Rank) (Req Mental Force)- +8 Ability Power
- Executioner (3 Ranks) – Increases damage dealt to champions below 20/35/50% health by 5%
- Blade Weaving (1 Rank)(Req Spell Weaving) – Damaging an enemy champion with a spell increases your basic attack damage by 1% stacking up to 3 times. (Max 3% damage increase) This cannot be trigger more than once per second
- Warlord (3 Ranks) -Increases Bonus Attack Damage by 2/3.5/5%
- Archmage (3 Ranks) – Increases Ability Power by 2/3.5/5%
- Dangerous Game (1 Rank) (Req Executioner)- Killing a champion restores 5% of your missing health and mana
- Frenzy (1 Rank) – Critical hits increases your attack speed by 5% for 3 seconds (stacks up to 3 times)
- Devastating Strikes (3 Ranks) – +2/4/6% Armor and Magic penetration
- Arcane Blade (1 Rank) – Your basic attacks also deal bonus magic damage equal to 5% of your Ability Power
- Havoc (1 Rank) – 3% Increased Damage
- Block (2 Ranks) – Reduce incoming damage from champion basic attacks by 1/2
- Recovery (2 Ranks) – +1 health per 5 seconds
- Enchanted Armor (2 Ranks) – Increase your bonus Armor and Magic Resistance by 2.5/5%
- Tough Skin (2 Ranks) – Reduce damage taken from neutral monsters by 1/2, This does not effect lane minions
- Unyielding (1 Rank)(Req Block) – Melee – Reduce all incoming damage from champions by 2 Ranged – Reduce all incoming damage from champions by 1
- Veteran Scars (3 Ranks) – +12/24/36 Health
- Bladed Armor (1 Rank) – Enemy monsters that attack you bleed dealing damage equal to 1% of their current health each second.\nThis does not work against lane minions.
- Oppression (1 Rank) – Reduces damage taken by 3% from enemies that have impaired movement (Slows, snares, taunts, stuns, etc)
- Juggernaut (1 Rank)(Req Veteran Scars) – +3% Maximum Health
- Hardiness (3 Ranks) – +2/3.5/5 Armor
- Resistance (3 Ranks) – +2/3.5/5 Magic Resistance
- Perseverance (3 Ranks) – +1/2/3% of your missing health every 5 seconds
- Swiftness (1 Rank) – Reduce the effectiveness of slows by 10%
- Reinforced Armor (1 Rank)(Req Hardiness) – Reduces damage taken by critical strikes by 10%
- Evasive (1 Rank)(Req Resistance) – Reduces damage taken by 4% from Area of Effect magic damage
- Second Wind (1 Rank)(Req Perseverance) – Increase all sources of incoming healing by 10% when below 25% health
- Legendary Guardian (4 Ranks) – +1/2/3/4 Armor and 0.5/1/1.5/2 Magic Resistance for each nearby enemy champion
- Runic Shield (1 Rank) – Start the game with a 50 health shield. This shield regenerates each time you respawn
- Tenacious (1 Rank) – Reduces the duration of crowd control effects by 15%
- Phasewalker (1 Rank) – Reduces the casting time of Recall by 1 second
- Fleet of Foot (3 Ranks) – +0.5/1/1.5% movement speed
- Meditation (3 Ranks) – +1/2/3 mana regen per 5
- Scout (1 Rank) – Increases the cast range of wards and trinket items by 10%
- Conjuror (1 Rank) – Summoned units, traps, and clones have 10% increased duration. This does not work on wards
- Summoner’s Insight (3 Ranks) – Reduces the cooldown of Summoner Spells by 4/7/10%
- Strength of Spirit (1 Rank)(Req Meditation) – Gain Health Regeneration equal to 10% of your Mana Regeneration
- Alchemist (1 Rank) – Increases the duration of your potions and elixirs by 10%
- Greed (3 Ranks) – +.5/1/1.5 gold every 10 seconds
- Runic Affinity (1 Rank) – Increases the duration of shrine, relic, quest, and neutral monster buffs by 20%
- Vampirism (3 Ranks) – +1/2/3% lifesteal and spellvamp
- Culinary Master (1 Rank)(Req Alchemist) – Your health potions are upgraded into Biscuits that restore an additional 20 health and 10 mana instantly upon consumption
- Wealth (1 Rank) (Req Greed)- +40 Starting Gold
- Bandit (1 Rank) – Melee: Grants an additional 15 Gold on Champion kill or assist Ranged: You gain 3 gold each time you attack an enemy champion. This cannot trigger on the same champion more than once every 5 seconds
- Expanded Mind (3 Ranks) – +2/3.5/5% increased maximum mana
- Inspiration (2 Ranks) – +5 experience every 10 seconds while near a higher level allied champion
- Scavenger (1 Rank) (Req Bandit)- +1 Gold each time an ally kills a nearby lane minion
- Intelligence (3 Rank) – +2/3.5/5% Cooldown Reduction and reduces the cooldown of Activated Items by 4/7/10%
- Wanderer (1 Rank) – Gain 5% increased movement speed out of combat
Preview of Season 4′s Masteries
Click here to interact with the Mastery Page!
We’re making some changes to the League system. While we received a lot of positive feedback regarding leagues, there are a few key areas we felt could use improvement.
- Clarity surrounding LP gains (why am I getting so little LP per win?)
- Players having less motivation to win games when they hit division V and becoming more toxic (due to immunity from ever falling from a tier)
- Challenger currently represents too small of a group of players in solo duo.
These changes are hitting the PBE now and will be live next week after the end of Season 3:
- Clarity of progression is a major point of feedback we wanted to act on, so we’re removing clamping completely for anyone below Diamond I
Players should no longer see tiny LP gains except in extreme edge cases or at the top of Diamond I. The small LP gains are necessary in Diamond I to ensure Challenger represents only the very best players and is highly accurate.
- Tier demotion & shielding have been added
When we investigated player performance over the season we found that a small but not insubstantial group of players would reach division V of a tier and then consistently become more toxic and start to lose more frequently. Though tier immunity was originally intended to combat ladder anxiety we feel that complete immunity creates poor incentives and leads to abuse of the system. This makes ranked play a worse experience for everyone and isn’t what a division V placement should represent. When you enter division V you’ll have a set number of games where you are invulnerable to dropping a tier, currently this is 10 but it is subject to change. After this if you fall more than a full tier below your placement in terms of MMR, a warning will appear in your profile. So for example, a Gold V player playing at a Silver V skill level would see this warning. Continuing to lose games at 0 LP would result in their demotion to division I of the next lowest tier, or Silver I in this case.
- Challenger tier size increased to 200 in solo / duo
The skill gap between players at 0 LP and 100 LP in Diamond I is simply too wide and there is a logjam of extremely skilled players vying for Challenger at the top of Diamond 1. We want to ease some of that pressure recognize more players by increasing the number of spots in that tier.
Let us know what you think!
What would be the focus of her VU?
- Jayce-ify her just a bit, so that she feels somewhere in line between Vi and Jayce himself. Example, higher fashion. Cait is classy, I think she can fill the high-fashion niche a little better.
- Make her look the part of “Sherlock” to Vi’s “Watson”. I’d like her to feel juxtaposed, not just accidentally different. Meaning that Caitlyn should be put together, snazzy, fashionable, precise, while Vi is obviously punky and more eclectic.
- Not necesarilly tone down the hat, but give it some flair or maybe a bit of function. Piltover high-fashion rather than Willy Wonka.
Again, personally, this is just me, but I’d like to see a bit of this injected into her:
So yeah. Again, not any time soon, and just personal feels, but I think she could use some tightening. Plus.. her walk cycle is a bit goofy and she has noodle arms
Does that mean you’ll incorporate Hextech in her appearance?
IronStylus: We sorta need to solidify what hextech is actually. Right now it’s.. somethingsomethingbluemagicsomethingsomething. I think we need to find away to make it actually make sense mechanically. Piltover and Zaun obviously use it in different ways. It’d be fun to see how it manifests in each and powers their respective technology.
Will she keep the miniskirt outfit?
IronStylus: How about transitioning it into sort of a half-coat type thing? I like to think Piltover is more clever than just a miniskirt. Hence me curious about how to fashion her up in potentially unconventional ways.
Why not release several concepts and let the community decide?
IronStylus: One big problem however is how to logistically get this rolled out in all territories. We’re talking about forums from NA, to EU to Brazil.. Garena, Korea and Australia.. that’s not even counting China. That’s a lot of infrastructure, monitoring and localization to get rolling. I’m not sure how feasible it’d be. I feel it’d be a mistake to just create a simple poll on NA GD and call that it. That’s ignoring a huge pile of players from other territories.
Won’t too much armor and clothing ruin her image?
IronStylus: I’m fine with skin showing. I like that piece of fan art with the reverse open V at the bust line. I think that’s very high fashion and something that Caitlyn would choose to wear. Sort of like how Motoko from Ghost in the Shell has weird outfit combinations but.. ya know.. reasons..
What do you think of her rifle?
IronStylus: Great question. What comes to mind for me is actually a very, very fancy rifle version of a Graves type shotgun. I actually designed Graves’ gun waaaay back in the day and I’d probably apply similar principles. A magical component as some sort of accelerator, with some clockwork-type movement, rather than powder based shells.
Suggestion: Make Cait’s rifle change shape when firing her different spells
What about a Reverse Caitlyn skin where she’s an outlaw?
RiotOpti: Yeah, something like a Vigilante Cait meets Young Indiana Jones. Cait when she was too young to be sheriff, but too old to tolerate injustice, forcing her to take matters into her own hands. Yeah… *strokes non-existant beard*
Has the Donger become the ELO-farming machine for Season 4? And why are his turrets still killed by a sudden wind blow?
Do you think players using the R+W combo the most is a sign of imbalance?
20thCenturyFaux: People gravitate toward the RW both for playing as and playing against Heimer, it’s just really sexy and overt about what it does. I think over time turret centric strategy will become more common as people get used to the rest of the kit.
Balance is about more than winrate, but that said I’m also pretty happy about where his winrate is right now. It’ll take time for strategies to emerge for how to play and counter Heimer, and it remains to be seen which side will win that arms race. So far I haven’t seen a good reason to change his power level, I’m just having fun watching the live server and seeing youtubes ^^
Why are Heimer’s turrets so fragile?
Specifically for AE in teamfights, the main thing to watch is if they can hit turrets + other stuff in an AE. If they have to choose between hitting the turrets or hitting your team, you’ve done a good job. If multiple turrets are dying to the same AE, they’ve successfully outplayed the turrets. As a general rule, the turrets come out and hit hard; they sort of “become CC” if they get attacked, since spells and bullets spent on turrets (ideally) aren’t hitting champions.
As an aside, by the teamfight phase Heimer is able to deploy 3 turrets ahead of time; he’s at his strongest when he’s fighting in a full turret nest and he has 3 kits still on his person. That’s not easy to do, but in those fights he’s terrifying because he’ll just replace the turrets as they die and turrets spawn with 2/3 of a beam charge.
How does the League’s Viking perform after Patch 3.13?
SmashGizmo: It seems he’s seeing some picks and bans in the NACL and ALCS, mostly centered around using him as a counter to Jax, and his pick rate and win rate in all queues both seem to have gotten markedly better with this last patch. It’s early to say anything definitive about his current balance state, but all the early data from this patch is leaving me optimistic that he’s somewhat close to a good spot.
From my personal experiences in solo queue, I’m finding that I have trouble being effective vs. Jarvan, Nidalee and Vayne and that’s frustrating me due to their popularity in my games, but I feel very powerful when those characters aren’t present.
I think his jungle is hurting a little bit right now, but I do think it’s playable and I think the upcoming pre-season changes will help him out in the jungle considerably. Right now he’s just having trouble hitting the level of farm he needs out of the jungle.
Are you happy with Olaf’s itemization currently?
SmashGizmo: Yea, I’m fairly happy with how he’s able to build in practice. I think Hydra’s the optimal first offensive item on him in terms of potential, but I find myself building BotRK because it gives you reliable sticking power and a very potent turn around heal when used when low HP with W (and it still syngergizes well with high AS).
I do think he does enough damage on 1 offensive item right now and it largely feels like a toss up between the reliability of BotRK vs. the crazy high-end potential on Hydra. I also think Maw of Malmortius is pretty crazy on the guy, but I rarely feel like I can build it except vs. double AP teams since Spirit Visage is usually enough MR to keep you covered and he benefits so greatly from everything on visage.
How is his win ratio post-patch?
SmashGizmo: Now that the buffs have been out for a week, he’s moved up to ~46-47% (13th lowest right now, but that data is constantly fluctuating) and that’s still likely to move around some more as people get used to playing as/against Olaf again. It’s also worth noting that we don’t balance strictly around winrate because winrate doesn’t tell the whole story of a champion’s power, i.e. Olaf was sub 50% overall and still a giant problem in competitive when he was originally nerfed.
Some fun on PBE: can players break the meta before Team Builder arrives?
And let’s put together some meta-breaking team comps to see if we can break the game in PBE.
Darius + Leona Bot
Result: Ended game with a win at 15 minutes. Discuss.
Coordination between darius and me was bad at the start, so we wasted some gold when he expected me to last hit. Still felt good overall, but snowball seemed more related to bad support play on Ahri.
Annie opted into Emblem of Zeonia. Brand got Dorans -> HP Crystal.
Both went oom pretty frequently, losing a lot of lane dominance. Blitz was brutal since they didn’t get enough wards to keep vision on him in the brush.
Sivir mid vs Ryze – this matchup went every evenly. Sivir had great spellshield timing tho.
We lost bot lane pretty hard early vs Quinn + Leona, but they made a mistake and Rango got fed midgame. Karma jungle was a beast. Rango managed to catch up after laning phase.
We had great dragon control because Miss fortune being mid meant she jsut ran down to meet rango and i for killing jungle.
Rengar + Leona + MF = fast dead dragons.
Here’s a collection of some amazing concepts I saw circling around Reddit and the forums. Enjoy and don’t forget to check the artists’ pages if you like their work!
IronStylus’ Album of Awesome
So many incredible artists, check them all out here!
- Blitzcrank - 3150 IP / 790 RP
- Caitlyn - 4800 IP / 880 RP
- Darius - 6300 IP / 975 RP
- Garen - 450 IP / 260 RP
- Leona - 4800 IP / 880 RP
- Orianna - 4800 IP / 880 RP
- Skarner - 4800 IP / 880 RP
- Tryndamere - 1350 IP / 585 RP
- Twitch - 3150 IP / 790 RP
- Veigar - 1350 IP / 585 RP
- Kog’Maw - 440 RP
- Lulu - 487 RP
- Zilean - 292 RP
Amethyst Ashe - 487 RP
Hextech Anivia - 375 RP
Jurassic Cho’Gath - 487 RP