A massive PBE update, including changes to to Master Yi, Zac and Phage, brand new skins – Arcade Hecarim, Riot Blitzcrank and the legendary Forecast Janna, New Summoner Icons for all 5 teams who’ve passed their regional finals, major updates to the Champions Tab, as well as two brand new features – Teamfight UI and Baron & Dragon Spectator Timers!
Moving from the realm of testing, Riot have announced the release of League-themed American Express Serve RP Cards, RiotScruffy brings us news of Skarner‘s announced rework, IronStylus gives us a rundown of all Champions who currently have new skins in development and shares some incredible art for Diana, Kitae announces the results of the Freljord’s Tribe Events and, as always, the latest Champion/Skin sale!
- New Skins
- New Summoner Icons
- Champions Tab Rework
- Teamfight UI
- Baron & Dragon Spectator UI
- Now consumes all stacks on kills, changed from half.
- AD ratio reduced from 0.3 to 0.25
- Attack speed per level lowered from 2.75% to 2% per level (from 0.019 to 0.0135)
- Percentage damage reduction increased from 40/45/50/55/60% to 50/55/60/65/70%
- Passive AD increased changed from 7/9/11/13/15% to 10% at all ranks
- Passive: On-kill reset now reduces Master Yi’s remaining cooldowns by 70% (35% for assist), changed from 18 seconds (9 for assist)
- Shield reduced from 70/115/160/205/250 to 60/100/140/180/220
- No longer reduces the duration of stuns, slows, taunts, fears, silences, blinds, and imoblizies by 50% while active
- Now removes all slows affecting Zac when cast
- Active cooldown increased from 60 seconds to 90
- No longer grants 275 Health
- Now grants 30 Armor
- Total cost reduced from 3615 to 3350
- Passive changed: Rage – Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 1.5 seconds. Kills grant 60 movement speed for 1.5 seconds.
- No longer requires Phage to build. Now builds out of A Ruby Crystal, Giant’s Belt and Pick Axe
- Total cost decreased from 3300 to 3005
- No longer grants 200 Health
- Now grants 20 Armor.
- New build path: Cloth Armor + Longsword
- Total cost lowered from 1465 to 1200
- Passive changed: Rage – Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 1.5 seconds. Kills grant 60 movement speed for 1.5 seconds.
- New build path: Vampiric Scepter + Pickaxe
- Total cost lowered from 2850 to 2175
- Total AD reduced from 65 to 50
- No longer grants 250 health
- Now grants 20 armor
- Movement speed bonus decreased from 10% to 8%
- Total cost reduced from 3843 to 3578
- Phage Passive changed: Rage – Basic attacks grant 20 movement speed for 1.5 seconds. Kills grant 60 movement speed for 1.5 seconds.
- After using an ability, the next basic attack deals 200% of base AD as bonus physical damage, increased from 150%
PBE: New Skins
Forecast Janna (Legendary Skin)
Where did the idea for Arcade Hecarim come from?
Rainbows. ****ing guitar powered, supersonic, chrome plated rainbows.
This skin is actually the product of one of our Thunderdomes. A span of about 2 days where we all get into groups and burn on a project we want to see happen. Some great stuff has come from TD, including the first iteration of Ardade Hecarim. Everyone went giggly over the particles and silliness. We’re all fans of this sort of 80′s craziness, and for some reason, as absurd as it was, it seemed to fit considering other popular media we’ve been exposed to.
After TD, we reevaluated what we had then put him in the pipeline proper for proper modeling tweaks, animation cleanup and particle work.
Either way, I love being at a place where something we are able to bang out in 2 days can get so much buy-in that we can get it into the pipeline and make it really awesome!
PBE: New Summoner Icons
Five new icons are available for the teams who qualified for the International Wildcard Tournament.
PBE: Champions Tab Rework
A wider view of the champion list, better filters and faster performance are just some of the updates to the Champions Tab.
Explaining the changes
With today’s deploy of 3.11 to the PBE, we’ve given the Champions tab in the Summoner Profile an update. The release of 3.10 brought with it some improvements to the champion tagging system, removing the old multi-filter process and giving each champion a primary role. The new and improved Champion Inventory includes a broader grid, a role-selection dropdown, and a significant performance boost when navigating between profile tabs.
When you’re next on the PBE, feel free to check out the new and improved Champions page; we’d love to hear your thoughts on the new layout. If you encounter anything that seems amiss or doesn’t work like you expected, please take the time to share that with us in this thread!
Can we see what champions our friends own yet?
Damiya: That’s beyond the scope of this change, and while I can’t tell you exactly why we don’t show other people’s champions (Mostly because I don’t know), at a guess it’s due to privacy concerns and stuff; while I realise that most of you want to use it for positive reasons, I could totally see people getting harassed for not having enough champions or something.
PBE: Teamfight UI
Keeping track of the action will become a whole lot easier for commentators!
We’re testing a new UI mode for Spectator mode and would love your feedback. We’re calling this mode theTeamfight UI. The overall goal of this mode is to provide a great viewing experience during large team fights.
Our specific goals:
- Minimize and concentrate the UI so it’s easier to focus on the action during team fights.
- Optimize the display of battle information: Who is involved in the fight? Who’s winning? How many people have died on either team?
Let’s take a closer look. In this screenshot we can see:
- Team health bars help viewers track the momentum of fights, and register the power of AoE damage and heals.
- Loss of control icons help viewers track powerful status effects–if Malphite’s ult hits all 5 of the enemy team, it’s easy to see.
- Kill counter tracks each champion’s progress towards the elusive pentakill
- Ult / Summoner spells are easily viewable for both teams in a central location
- Dead champions have the familiar death timer
Not every champion is always there when a fight breaks out. The team fight UI helps you understand who’s in the thick of battle:
- Near champions like Caitlyn are represented with bright character portraits. Near champions are on-screen champions and other champions we identify as being involved in the team fight.
- Far champions like Renekton have darker portraits
- Team healthbars reflect the health of both near (bright) and far (dark) champions.
You can help test this feature by spectating matches on PBE. While the UI mode is intended for use during team fights, it should work correctly all the time (like all other Spectator UI modes). To engage the team fight UI, press ‘a’ while spectating.
Please test this and give us your feedback!
Follow-up: People who’ve worked on the Teamfight UI
Kitae: A cool note: the Teamfight UI was a Riot Thunderdome project, where Rioters form teams within the company and work on brand new passion projects within a contained window of time. Other Thunderdome projects include Proving Grounds ARAM, turret aggro indicators, Item Sets, and some others.
Here’s Thunderdome Team 5, bringing you the Teamfight UI!
• Riot RoboLions
• World Peace
Will the UI provide feedback on when important items are activated? (Locket, Zhonya, etc.)
Drawbacks: Not being able to see Champions’ health bars when they’re off-screen
Kitae: The UI was designed to provide a great experience when viewing a specific team fight. We included the mini-map and off-screen portraits and team health bars to help players understand the possibility for reinforcements.
However, there will be cases, like two simultaneous fights going on, where using this mode will give you less information. In that case, I’d recommend using the normal UI.
TLDR; use this UI when you want to focus on a specific fight that’s on screen. For monitoring action across the entire map use the standard UI.
Will the new UI be able to reflect intense moments where people are very low on life?
Kitae: If these champions are on-screen you still have the health bars over their heads. We are also experimenting with the algorithm for calculating the team health bars to better represent situations like the one you describe.
Thanks for the feedback, go try out the feature!
Will this feature change the way games are viewed at LCS and other events?
RoboLions: We certainly would love for the LCS crew to use this view and we actively worked with them to get feedback on the feature so that they would be amiable to doing so. In the end it is up to them to decide how this fits into their day-to-day but I’m hopeful!
Teamfight UI: Suggestion Box
Making the Team Health Bar the way current Champion Health Bars are shown (5 bars)
RoboLions: We had considering doing exactly what you propose and I was the biggest advocate of that method, here’s what it came down to and why, in the end, I happily changed my mind. Any variation of effective health gives too much credit to the tank on the team and not enough credit to the squishies that have to use their escapes (and their wits) to stop from being roadkill.
In that system, an ADC that is at 10% health contributes roughly equal health to the team bar as the same ADC at 90% health just because they don’t have near as much total health as say, Alistar. Clearly that is not a fair representation of how the team is doing!
At 90% health Caitlyn can net away, Ezreal can shift, flash may not be burned yet, etc, and then they can continue to do damage from the back. At 10% health they are as good as dead and getting back into the fight is suuuuuper risky.
Making players’ cooldowns visible
Kitae: Interesting idea. I’m worried by the potential for visual clutter, this seems like something that would get added to the main UI first. I definitely see the value, but worry a bit about the clutter.
Moving the Team Health Bar on top
Adding a teleport indicator to the UI
Kitae: Good suggestion. There are a lot of powerful effects like Zhonya, shields, shen ult, that woudl be cool to visualize. We wanted to nail the basics first but in the future this is a possibility.
Moving the champion portraits to the left and right of screen
Placing dead champions at the back of the UI
Mousing over the champion’s icon highlights their health bar
PBE: Baron and Dragon Spectator Timers
A brand new feature, delivered by team StrikeForce – a Dragon & Baron Timer UI for Spectator mode!
My team, Strike Force, has recently developed a feature for Spectator Mode to improve the viewing experience of your friends’ games, and the broadcasts of LCS. We’ve had a lot of requests for the feature since the release of Spectator, and we’ve finally got it for you, right on time for the Playoffs and the World Championships: it’s an in-game timer for Dragon and Baron as they get ready to spawn!
The timers will appear 2 minutes before the monster spawns, then fade away shortly after displaying the message “LIVE”.
I’d love for everyone to spectate the sh*t out of some games to vet this feature as thoroughly and extensively as possible. Additionally, be sure to send me and my team feedback on this post, so we can fix any and all bugs that we missed on our end. The feature is solid as is, but there are always uncertainties when working with software.
Here’s a few screen shots of how they will appear…
Follow-up: Why the new UI is an improvement
I’ll explain a little bit about why the feature acts the way it does at a strategic level.
We chose to have the icons appear and disappear on timers, rather than be static, to keep ourselves from piling on more information onto the screen than we feel is relevant to the particular moment of the game you’re watching. If you look at the spectator UI in its current state, it’s already pretty cluttered, and that’s without the overlays in the eSports broadcasts. If you were to look at the screen and break it into chucks, and make those chunks fractions, you’d realize that we’re already taking 1/4 of the game from you with Spectator and LCS overlays. The purpose of Spectator Mode is to show viewers the game currently in play, not a bunch of irrelevant information. Static information only hides more of the game from sight. So we chose, and will likely continue to choose, to show only contextually relevant information.
A few tactical notes:
We kept the timers below the threshold of three minutes to help mitigate the feature being exploited for the benefit of the players in the live version of the game. So viewers will only be seeing the timers a minute after the event has already happened. This, of course, doesn’t apply to eSports broadcasts, which stream with 0 delay.
This is only the first iteration of this feature, so it will be evolving with time.
Get RP with RP+ from American Express Serve
If you’ve ever felt the masochistic need to carry a Teemo-themed credit card, then today is your lucky day!
RP+ from American Express Serve is offering a new way for League of Legends players to get RP – you can earn RP when you sign up and start using your Full Service Reloadable Prepaid Account:
- +1,000 RP after successful sign up and email verification
- +1,000 RP the first time you load $20 or more to your Account
- +10,000 RP the first time you use Direct Deposit to add $20 or more to your Account
- +100 RP for each of your first 10 Card purchases
- +Continue earning RP on the things you already buy
Choose a Card design with Teemo, Vi, Lux, Twisted Fate, the Summoner’s Cup or the League of Legends logo, depending on how you’d like to represent off the Fields of Justice.
A few things to remember before you sign up:
- Accountholders must be 18 or older (or 19 in certain states)
- Accountholders must be US residents
- You must have a North American League of Legends account to earn rewards
- No credit check or minimum balance
Update on Skarner
Following RiotScruffy‘s recent announcement that he is working on improving Skarner, here is an update on how the changes made to his E ability.
RiotScruffy: Hey all, back with some more details. We’re trying out an iteration of the E that is a bit more like the old E in usage but there are some other changes that help it fit nicely into his new gameplay pattern.
- No changes to the skillshot, it’s still a free cased line nuke
- Range increased by roughly 20%
- Projectile width decreased by about 20%
- Deals magic damage to targets hit and slows them by 30/35/40/45/50 for 2.5 seconds
The goals here were to retain the fun and diverse gameplay of the line nuke. The free targeting and skillshot feel of the E is a nice change of pace from Skarner’s other melee focused abilities. We’re also trying a longer/slow/less wide projectile so that targets of the E have the opportunity to dodge it (counterplay).
- It slows immediately (not on the mark proc)
- The mana cost is significantly lower than the old E
Also, thanks for the feedback, I read it all. This new Skarner is very strong in our playtests so far. I am personally very excited about the skillshot E because it adds a bit more thought and precision into his gameplay.
How does Skarner feel as a result of these changes?
- His pre 6 ganks seem to just be all around better. Even in the case where you are ganking a lane with good initiate, you can just save the E for when their CC wears off.
- Here is a noticeable hunger in the midgame for ability points because he now uses 4 abilities instead of 3. Choosing to max W or E first is viable, and it depends if you want the more consistent speed/defenses or stronger damage/slow. It is a good thing that he doesn’t max out around level 12, and can keep growing all the way into late game.
- His ability to permanently slow and stick to tanky characters is less. This isn’t actually a big problem because his brawling ability with Q and attack speed is still very strong, and when your target tries to run, you can use E to close the gap. The power of having a ranged slow makes his chasing ability as good if not better than before.
- As for late game teamfights we have seen that the ranged slow is actually very useful for peeling because Skarner can actually dive on the back line and still throw Es in any direction to peel for his back line. It seems like a net neutral change in his ability to peel for his team. The more significant difference in late game teamfights is the R, which is now much more reliable once you have gotten in range of your target.
These changes are still being evaluated.
IronStylus: Every champion listed above currently has a skin in development, somewhere along the pipeline. Delays and time between skins hinge on a number of factors, I’ll list some particular to this list:
Urgot – Something under development, however he’s shambly and we need to screw with the rig a lot.
Zed – Fairly straight forward aside from that his shadows might be something else entirely in any given skin, mandating possibly another model and particle work for that model.
Zyra – Tons of models which require animation if they’re anything different than the plant rigs, lots of particle work.
Thresh – Chains.
Nami – If we change the model into a different type of fish/sea creature, that will requite custom rigging for whatever additions we make. Example, new fins/membranes need a lot of animation support. She’s also very particle heavy.
Skarner – Soon(tm)
Kha’Zix – Extremely VFX heavy, evolving model, etc.
Rengar – Not sure where he’s at. He’s straight forward, but not terribly old.
Syndra – Heavy particle work, possibly fabric animation support depending on the theme. Doing something cosmic would most likely require model translucency and/or scrolling textures which are just now being used on some newer skins.
Viktor – Tons of particle work and a couple of models for his traps.
Vi – Fairly recent release, should be something along relatively Soon(tm)
Aside from those specifics, certain things can constrain production, mainly VFX and animation. Both of which are heavily valued when it comes what players enjoy about new skins. Both tend to be the most pinched of resources internally. Additionally, a skin for any given champion might be in production, but then an event (Lunar Revel, Harrowing, etc) might pop up on our radar and we may realize a champion would better fit there. We might put the in-progress skin on hold while we make something appropriate for an upcoming event. Happened to a concept of mine recently.
As for Rumble, which people keep bringing up, I’ll restate: He’s the equivalent to the work of a new champion. He requires a completely new rig and animation sets if he’s to be anything different than the rickety mech he’s in now. That rig doesn’t support anything to the magnitude of fan-requested ideas, or concepts players have submitted. We’re going to change his rig for his upcoming skins. One of which is currently in production, but as I said, needs heavy animation support.
Hope that helps clarify!
Why are Darius and Vi getting skins before Zyra?
IronStylus: Zyra currently has a couple nearly complete models in the backlog. (This does NOT mean they have had animation or VFX support.) However, recently we felt she would slot into an upcoming event quite well. We decided to concept that and move forward on that skin. Zyra is massively intensive. You’ve just compared her to two melee fighters. Some of the “easiest” champions to produce due to limited VFX needs.
Didn’t you hint at the development of Diana skin some time ago?
Why isn’t Evelynn on the list?
Are you working on a Nunu VU?
IronStylus shows amazing Diana art
IronStylus: Howdy. Was doing some color practice tonight and thought I’d share the outcome. This is HEAVILY influenced by reference I was using of this awesome painting of a lady.. but I can’t find the source.. Also heavily referenced from one of the initial sketches Knockworst did while doing Diana’s splash.
Why does she have a crack on her forehead?
IronStylus: So, the super-secret head-canon I have, which I have no idea if it’ll be actually integrated, but it’s something that Team Diana talked about way back in the day.. is that her mark is a physical brand. The Solari elders literally took a tool and burned that mark into her face. Though, they were so blinded by ignorance, or maybe they liked irony so much, that they branded her with the ancient symbol of the moon.
This scar burned her hair, giving her a larger forehead. After she flipped out, surrendering all her humanity to deep sadness and pain, that’s when this thing became full of fancy. That’s when her bond with the moon began. The marks on her eyes weren’t makeup, they were burn marks and scorches coming from the magicalmoonlight affecting her eyes and causing her tears to boil on her face.
Soooooo yeah. A little emo.
Why the lack of a glowing moon symbol?
IronStylus: Yeah, simple glowy thing for no reason works for in-game and for the short amount of time we have to tell a story, but if I were to make a movie or something, I’d put that gut wrenching part into it.
In my opinion, Diana should be beautiful but the Solari scarred her so deeply, inside and outside.
Will you do a portrait of Leona as well?
Did you use a reference portrait for your sketch?
What other champions will get skins in the near future?
Every champion, unless slated for a relaunch, has a skin in development. Those champions which need relaunches are pretty self evident when you compare their quality to current standards. By that math, I think you can assume who is on the relaunch list, as long as it may be, and who has a skin currently in the works.
Does that answer most questions?
Any celebratory event skins we can look forward to?
Will you update Alistar’s looks?
Freljord Event – the results are in!
Which tribe won the community’s affection? Who will celebrate in the chilling depths of the Freljord – Ashe, Lissandra or Sejuani? Find out below!
Recently on on Reddit, Papochka asked what the results of the Freljord event were. I’m here to share them with you guys!
As you can see, a couple things stand out:
- Different regions favored different tribes: The Frostguard (led by Lissandra) received the most worldwide support, but all three tribes were #1 in at least one region.
- It was a close race: Each tribe received significant support in all the regions we tracked. Sejuani and her Winter’s Claw tribe support in Korea was the lowest result we observed, and still constituted 26.2% of players!
The Freljord event was intended to shine the spotlight on the Freljord, feature it’s three leaders, and present a difficult choice – which tribe will you support? We wanted all three tribes to be compelling, and were pleased to see that they all appealed to players around the world.
Which tribe will rule the Freljord? Only time will tell. The Freljord event set the stage for future stories and conflict in this harsh, icy, region. What will ultimately set things in motion? Who knows.
But if the Watchers return…that would make things…interesting….
Champion/Skin Sale – Expires August 19th
Enjoy the following champions and skins at a discount until August 19th!
- Blitzcrank – 395 RP
- Jayce – 487 RP
- Wukong – 440 RP
Bandit Sivir – 375 RP
Death Blossom Elise – 487 RP
Royal Guard Fiora – 260 RP
Missed any recent updates? Check here!
Here‘s how IronStylus gets to work each morning.
Slaughter your enemies with Aatrox, the Darkin Blade! Huge changes to Shyvana and Kha’Zix, tweaks to jungling items, Woad King Darius and Ghost Bride Morgana previewed and the new Champion Rotation and Champion/Skin Sale!
Aatrox, the Darkin Blade
Aatrox draws in the blood of his foes, dealing magic damage to nearby enemy champions equal to 15% (+ 0.01 AP) of their current health.
For 12 seconds, Aatrox increases his Maximum Health by 100/175/250 (+ 50/65/80 per champion hit) and Attack Speed by 25/35/45% (+ 10% per champion hit). Aatrox’s attack range is increased to 325 for the duration.
- Cooldown lowered to 20/19/18/17/16
- Cost reduced to 60 at all ranks from 80/75/70/65/60
- Mana cost reduced to 100 at all ranks from 125/175/225
- Now lasts 60 seconds, up from 40 seconds
- Tibbers’ HP increased from 1200/1600/2000 to 1200/2100/3000
- Tibber’s Magic Resist increased from 25/45/65 to 30/50/70
- Ashe gains 1/2/3/4/5/6 (increased per 3 levels) stacks of Focus per second. At 100 stacks, Ashe’s next attack will critically strike.
If you’re curious about this change, feel free to check out my article on the decision.
- Cooldown lowered from 150/120/90 to 120/105/90
- Hecarim can no longer move through units
- Damage increased from 100/200/300 ( +0.4 AP ) to 150/250/350 ( +1.0 AP)
- No longer deals additional damage after the charge
- Now heals for 20% of Karma’s missing health instantly
- If the link is not broken, it heals Karma again for 20% of her missing health
Taste their Fear (Q)
- Isolated bonus damage changed from 100/145/190/235/280 to 45% of the ability’s damage
- Now deals 8% of target’s missing health in physical damage or 12% if the target is isolated
- Void Spike ( W ) now slows by 20% for 2 seconds.
- Void Spike ( W ) mana cost reduced to 55/60/65/70/75 from 60/70/80/90/100.
- Can no longer consume Unseen Threat (passive)
- Recast cooldown increased from 10 seconds to 12
- no longer reduces damage taken while in stealth but can now be recast 4 times.
- Damage lowered from 70/110/150/190/230 to 65/100/135/170/205
- Mana cost lowered from 70 to 55
- Cooldown lowered from 18/16/14/12/10 to 16/14/12/10/8
- Damage lowered from 150/300/450 to 150/275/400
- Slow increased from 20% to 20/30/40%
- Bonus damage on-hit changed from 30/55/80/105/130 to 40/55/70/85/100 ( +0.4 AP ) over 2 seconds .
Damage reduced from 16% of Sejuani’s maximum health to 12%
- Slow duration reduced to 1.5/1.75/2/2.25/2.5 from 2/2.25/2.5/2.75/3
- Stun duration reduced to 1.25/1.5/1.75 from 1.5/1.75/2.
- New passive now grants 5 (+1 Per Level) bonus Armor and Magic Resistance which doubles in Dragon Form
- Basic attacks now reduce the cooldown of Twin Bite by 0.5 seconds
- Basic attacks now extend the duration of Burnout by 1 second, up to 4
- Now deals 80/110/140/170/200 ( +0.6 AP ) magic damage to all enemies it passes through and marks them. Basic attacks against marked targets deal bonus damage equal to 25% of the ability’s damage
- No longer grants bonus Armor and Magic Resist
- Now generates 10/15/20 fury per basic attack.
This is basically shuffling Shyvana’s skillset. With her old passive being integrated into her abilities this opens the way for her to be tankier earlier on. Probably the most exciting change is Flame Breath now being AoE. Given that it doesn’t suffer from reduced damage for each target hit this will be an incredible farming/poking tool.
- Base HP increased from 340 to 380
- Base Armor increased from 6 to 8
- Passive Armor and MR Aura changed from 3/6/9/12/15 to 6/7/8/9/10
- Bonus Armor and MR granted for activating reduced from 8/11/14/17/20 to 6/7/8/9/10 for 3 seconds
- Tooltip states it now deals 8% of maximum health over 4 seconds, not 2% each second for 4.
Passive (Butcher): Damage to monsters increased from 25% to 30%.
Passive (Butcher): Damage to monsters increased from 25% to 30%.
Passive (Butcher): Damage to monsters increased from 25% to 30%.
Passive (Rend): Bonus damage on-hit to monsters changed from true to magic
Passive (Rend): Bonus damage on-hit to monsters changed from true to magic
Woad King Darius
Ghost Bride Morgana
(renamed from La Llorona Morgana)
Map Preview Images
The artwork for the League’s battlegrounds in the client has been replaced by a detailed map showcasing each game mode.
Enjoy playing the following champions for free until May 28th!
- Evelynn - 1350 IP/585 RP
- Malphite - 1350 IP/585 RP
- Mordekaiser - 3150 IP/790 RP
- Rumble - 4800 IP/880 RP
- Soraka - 450 IP/260 RP
- Syndra - 6300 IP/975 RP
- Talon - 6300 IP/975 RP
- Urgot - 3150 IP/790 IP
- Varus - 6300 IP/975 RP
- Vi - 6300 IP/975 RP
Champion/Skin Sale – May 21st to 24th
Enjoy the following champion and skins at a discount until May 24th!
- Cassiopeia - 440 RP
- Gragas - 395 RP
- Vladimir - 440 RP
Bilgerat Rumble – 260 RP
Dryad Soraka - 260 RP
Musketeer Twisted Fate - 375 RP
What do you think of the update? Share below!
An All-Star Duel Map Revealed, New Splash Art, Skins, Icons, Champion/Skin Sale and Free Week!
New Freljord Art
Here are all the splash arts from the Freljord updates we’ve been receiving over the past few weeks. These include Lissandra, Nunu, Sejuani, Trundle, as well as the Bloodstone Lissandra, Blackfrost Anivia, Ice Drake Shyvana and Runeguard Volibear skins. Click on the captions for my previews of each one:
New Frost Icons & Lore Quests
The Hollowing Abyss is deeply tied to the latest lore pieces released by Riot. The Three Sisters (Ashe, Sejuani and Lissandra) are sworn enemies and whenever they encounter each other on one map, they engage in a hunt quest- sort of like the Kha’Zix/Rengar interaction.
There are special quotes for each of the sisters whenever this event occurs:
“Sejuani cannot be reasoned with. Ashe must defeat her to build a better future for the Freljord.”
“Ashe is a powerful symbol to her people. Lissandra must kill her, so they will fall in line.”
“Sejuani is too reckless and powerful to control. Lissandra must put her down.”
“Ashe’s peaceful alliance must be broken. Sejuani must kill her and rule with strength.”
“Lissandra is an abomination. Sejuani must crush her to purify the Freljord.”
Three Frost Icons have also been included on the PBE Client:
As you probably remember, a new Summoner Icon collecting method was recently shown by Rioter BlueFire. These latest icons are most likely tied to the Three Sisters Quest and will be unlocked via this new system.
Taipei Assassins world champion skins
Reigning world champions Taipei Assassins secured their place in League of Legends history when they defeated Azubu Frost at the Season Two World Finals. Soon, you’ll be able to field TPA’s winning lineup with new skins that commemorate their victory. Get ready to capture the power and ferocity of these titans of Taiwan during the LCS All Star break!
Here is the official announcement from Garena (it’s in Chinese):
“Whether we succeed or fail, using the limited resources that we have to work with players’ interests is a must. Even with numerous setbacks, Garena will keep Summoners’ thoughts at first priority, because their interests are our interests.
We still remember the victory of Azubu Taipei Assassins in Season 2, so to commemorate this glorious feat, we had Riot design special Azubu TPA commemoration skins for Ezreal, Mundo, Nunu, Orianna and Shen. After six months of planning, these skins are close to release.
Note: These skins will be available in the Store for all Summoners.
A 1v1/2v2 duel map leaked!
A video on a Chinese website shows what’s apparently a duel map!
Here is a much quicker-loading Youtube version:
VP of eSports RedBeard mentioned that this map was designed purely for the All-Star Game:
This ‘first blood’ map was dreamed up by some Rioters who wanted to make an awesome 1v1/2v2 map JUST for the All-Star game. They brewed it up during the ‘Thunderdome,’ which is a regular all-night hackathon Riot holds to explore cool new stuff.
Wickd vs SoAZ’s 1v1 extravaganza was awesome to watch and got me even more hyped up for this event at the All-Star game.
Because it was created solely with the idea of using it in the All-Star game, it’s not something that we have any concrete plans for besides the event.
Champion Sale: Season 3/Week 12
The following champions will be free to play this week:
- Dr. Mundo - 1350 IP/585 RP
- Fiddlesticks - 1350 IP/585 RP
- Miss Fortune - 4800 IP/880 RP
- Rammus - 3150 IP/790 RP
- Shen - 3150 IP/790 RP
- Thresh - 6300 IP/975 RP
- Twitch - 3150 IP/790 RP
- Veigar - 1350 IP/585 RP
- Xin Zhao - 3150 IP/790 RP
- Zed - 6300 IP/975 RP
Skin Sale: 23/26th April
The following champions and skins will be put on half price for the next three days:
- Jayce – 487 RP
- Mordekaiser – 395 RP
- Urgot – 395 RP
- Chosen Master Yi - 260 RP
- Enchanted Galio - 260 RP
- Muay Thai Lee Sin - 487 RP
That’s it for now, stay tuned!
Trundle Visual Remake
Quinn and Valor bring exciting news from their journey through the Freljord!
Shatterfrost camp, Eastern Freljord
We traveled east, putting Sejuani’s territory further behind us. For many days of the journey, I couldn’t be certain we’d find anyone or anything alive out here. The Freljord is so sparse and so empty. It’s no wonder the tribes fight for every scrap of fertile ground.
The people of the Shatterfrost, a small tribe fiercely loyal to Ashe, took us in. They offered us what spare rations they could, which wasn’t much at all. They seemed ashamed they couldn’t give more. They told me that trolls had been raiding their camps and villages, stealing supplies and murdering their hunters. While trolls are usually seen as foolish brutes who travel in small packs, these attacks seem organized. One tribesman claims that a new leader, a troll king, is rallying his kin to war.
But there’s a deeper threat, one that the people of the Shatterfrost seem afraid to speak of. Rumors of the legendary Ice Witch of Freljord have these people terrified. She has attacked travelers and small hunting bands, leaving her victims impaled on jagged shards of black ice. They say no one has ever seen her face and lived.
We left the Shatterfrost behind us to seek more of Ashe’s eastern allies and soon found ourselves in a deep and heavy blizzard. I couldn’t see much through the snowfall. Val saw the danger ahead before I did, but I still heard the sounds of battle on the wind.
Trolls (hulking, awful brutes) sacked a small village in the distance and smashed everything they couldn’t take. I couldn’t save the tribesmen—they were already dead. I got as close as I could. One of the trolls barked orders at the others (who clumsily tried to obey). This troll leader carried a massive club that seemed to be carved from the ice itself. It glowed with power even in the dark of the growing snowstorm. Is this the Troll King?
Val snatched a banner from the wreckage – this tribe had been loyal to the Avarosan, but not a soul came to their aid. Eastern Freljord is not secure. Ashe won’t be able to call on reinforcements from these distant tribes if she needs them.
Still, the Frostguard to the north are said to be Ashe’s most powerful ally. The Frostguard have pledged since ancient times to stand watch over this land, and the name of their leader, Lissandra, is spoken in reverence throughout the Freljord. The trolls, the Winter’s Claw, and the Ice Witch—together, can Lissandra and Ashe hold them back?
Confused by the latest lore sketch? Don’t be! Morello was quick to spill the beans:
What’s a troll doing in the Freljord? Are we… trolling you?
On a more serious note, some of you will probably guess that if there’s a troll and he’s wielding a club… it’s Trundle! So we wanted to give you a taste of what’s to come, namely Trundle’s relaunch and his re-imagining in the icy north.
While old Trundle certainly had a unique narrative and visual design, we always felt he was disconnected from the rest of the world. This inhibited the number of stories we could tell with Trundle and, well, we want to tell stories about him. Trundle’s upcoming changes include a gameplay update (more of a quality improvement than a rework – similar in scope to our Taric changes in 3.03), a new ice-themed aesthetic (if you couldn’t guess), and a new story that ties Trundle to the brewing conflict in the Freljord.
Stay tuned in the coming weeks, because we’ve got plans for Trundle – not to mention that Trundle has plans of his own!
You’ll have to wait to hear more, but here’s something to tide you over. As with Karma’s relaunch, anyone who owns Trundle before his relaunch will get this Traditional Trundle (has a nice ring to it) skin for free:
And here is the splash art for the new and much-improved Trundle!
Senior Character Artist Grumpy Monkey has answered some of the community’s concerns with the remake:
What’s with the goofy expression?
Grumpy Monkey: Let me clear that up, in that .gif he is doing the “troll dance” in the animations the animators distorted his face for comic effect. I assure you he doesnt look like that when he is running around (on all threes, yes he still has the trundle run ) bashing dudes with his club.
You’ve ruined his personality!
To be fair, we don’t know exactly what kind off buff ice troll he is.
They did kind of get rid of anything and everything that made him what he was before though, and that sets kind of a scary precedent for future art reworks.
It doesn’t matter if somehow, you’re able to measure that the new Trundle is objectively better than old Trundle, it’s really weird and disconcerting that you would completely annihilate a champion’s personality and lore because a year or so later, you decide it’s not what you wanted and they didn’t sell well enough.
Grumpy Monkey: “So this is something we addressed with Karma’s relaunch and maybe we ca do better job messaging this, but there are different tiers of reworks.
There are visual upgrades like nidalee, soraka, Annie, where only art assets are changed.
Then there are reworks like twisted fate where we change the look and the lore, but gameplay is largely unaffected.
Then there are relaunches, where the character can be evolved from all aspects, lore gameplay and art. Karma was our first. Trundle is qualifying as a relaunch since his new base is different enough from his old base to warrant the “traditional” skin.”
What about his skins?
If i can intercept you for 1 second, I’d like to ask you a couple of questions
1) Are trundle skins gonna get the “new” face/body or the “old” one? I simply love the new Trundle design, and I would like to play THAT face with my Lil’s Slugger, not the rotten old troll!
2) Are the names of his skills all gonna change to reflect his new ice-related personality? A pillar of ice is awesome, but i don’t believe his other skills are gonna relate very much with a Freljiord theme (except the terrain buff, ice would work nicely there….sliiiiiiiiiide!).
Grumpy Monkey: We always update the skins.
And probably. I dont know the final names. You will have to wait for the final reveal for that info.
Following this frosty remake, Rioter Ranson was quick to tease us with further discoveries to be made by Quinn and Valor:
Ransom: There is so much of the Freljord Quinn has yet to see, and she has already encountered trolls! What started as a simple reconnaissance mission seems to be turning into something more sinister. This worries me – what else might she find on her travels? I dare not utter my worst fears. If Prince Jarvan knew what was happening, I think his heart might skip a beat. Poor Jarvan, sitting all alone in his chambers – I hope he finally takes the opportunity to write Quinn back!
This is only the beginning of the duo’s adventures! What do you expect we’ll find further down the road? I, myself, am rooting for a Sejuani visual update ^^. For those of you who might have missed this lore series, here are the previous threads:
What are you thoughts on Trundle’s visual overhaul? Share in the comments below!
Good luck on the Fields of Justice!
Preview of Celestine Soraka & Phoenix Quinn and Quinn‘s lore revealed!
I’ve already reviewed Quinn extensively in a previous article, however I have included her lore in this one.
Quinn and Valor are an elite ranger team. With crossbow and claw, they undertake their nation’s most dangerous missions deep within enemy territory, from swift reconnaissance to lethal strikes. The pairs unbreakable bond is deadly on the battlefield, leaving opponents blind and riddled with arrows long before they realize who they’re fighting: not one, but two Demacian legends.
As a young girl, Quinn shared a hunger for adventure with her twin brother. They dreamed of becoming knights, but lived a quiet, humble life in the rural borderlands of Demacia. Together they imagined triumphant battles in faraway lands, seizing glory for their king and slaying foes in the name of Demacian justice. When daydreams alone could no longer satisfy their warriors souls, they embarked on daring wilderness adventures in search of true danger. One such quest turned to tragedy when a terrible accident claimed her brother’s life. Overcome with grief, Quinn abandoned her dreams of knighthood.
On the anniversary of her loss, Quinn gathered the courage to return to the scene of the tragedy. To her surprise, she found a wounded Demacian eagle at the site of her brothers death a rare and beautiful bird long believed extinct. Quinn nursed the fledgling back to health, and as they grew up together, a deep bond formed between the two. She saw the same quality in her newfound friend that had lived within her brother, and so she gave him the name “Valor.” The pair found strength in each other, and together they pursued the dream she had once abandoned.
The Demacian army had never seen heroes like Quinn and Valor. Their deadly skills quickly set them apart from their rank-and-file peers, but many still had their doubts. How could a common-born girl, even with such a powerful creature at her side, forego years of military training? Quinn and Valor proved themselves on one critical mission, tracking down a Noxian assassin who had evaded an entire Demacian battalion. When they brought him to justice, they finally earned the admiration and respect of their nation. The two now serve as living, fighting icons of Demacian strength and perseverance. Together, Quinn and Valor will stand against any threat to their beloved home.
“Most soldiers only rely on their weapons. Few truly rely on each other.” – Quinn
What do you think of the new skins coming to League of Legends? Share in the comments below!