Patch 6.5 will go live in a few hours. Here are the official notes:
Here’s the maintenance schedule for all regions:
Welcome to patch 6.5, the one where we check in with some old friends that havenâ€™t stopped by patch notes for a while and Soraka gets some spicy healing changes. After writing that sentence weâ€™re not really sure what â€˜spicy healingâ€™ is, but it probably tastes delicious.
Letâ€™s go back and talk about those â€˜old friendsâ€™ for a bit. Sejuani? Renekton? Jarvan? While itâ€™s true that these champions were certainly meta-defining champions at one point or another in the gameâ€™s history, itâ€™s important to really dig in and ask why they were so strong in the first place. For these three (and quite a few more on the list), their dominating position within the metagames of yesteryear can be easily explained: more than just powerful champions, they were powerful generalists.
Bolded text? Letâ€™s back up and slap some context on that phrase. Whatâ€™s a generalist? As the name implies, theyâ€™re champions who donâ€™t truly excel in any one category, but check enough of the boxes that theyâ€™re always performant or valuable. While thereâ€™s definitely room for champions that are swiss-army-knives (somewhere, a giant neon sign with the name â€˜THRESHâ€™ is blinking), having many reasons to be picked shouldnâ€™t exclude you from having to play along with Leagueâ€™s core value of having strengths and weaknesses. As weâ€™ve seen recently with champions like Gangplank and Lucian, being good at a lot of things and bad at very few things is a big no-no for champion diversity and balance alike.
So what do we have in store? While weâ€™ve got some power reductions to some of Leagueâ€™s main offenders this patch, much of 6.5 is a love-letter to these bygone generalists, increasing power in ways that aim to sharpen those niches as more than just â€˜pretty good.â€™ Oh, and leveling an account to 30 now takes half the time it used to. Thereâ€™s not really a cool narrative to tie that to, but itâ€™s pretty huge for new players. A moment of silence for those of us who survived the grind.
So hereâ€™s to you, generalists. Jacks-of-all-trades. People who pick â€˜Fillâ€™ in dynamic queue (even if it really just means â€˜Supportâ€™). Your commitment to providing value and bravery trying new things is an inspiration to us all. So if you get trampled by Hecarim, dunked by Vi, or diced by Renekton this patch – try not to be angry. Thatâ€™s just how they show their love.
Good luck, and have fun.
- Tooltip fix: Now correctly states Gnar’s AA range in Mega form is 175, not 150;
- Base Attack Damage increased by 3 (from 48 to 51 in Mini form and 54 to 57 in Mega).
Devastating Charge [ E ]
- The knockback distance now scales with the distance Hecarim has traveled during [ E ], up to a 50% increase in knockback distance.
Golden Aegis [ W ]
- Cooldown decreased from 20/18/16/14/12 seconds to 12 at all ranks.
Cataclysm [ R ]
- Mana cost decreased from 100/125/150 to 100 at all ranks;
- Now deals full damage to enemies in a small area around the original target.
- Attack Speed-per-level increased from 1.5% to 3.5%.
Caustic SpittleÂ [ Q ]
- Mana cost decreased from 60 at all ranks to 40.
Bio-Arcane BarrageÂ [ W ]
- Passive removed (no longer givesÂ 15/20/25/30/35/40% bonus Attack Speed);
- Active grants an additionalÂ 10/15/20/25/30 magic damage on-hit.
Riptide [ E ]
- Base damage decreased from 60/95/130/165/200 to 55/85/115/145/175.
Heartseeker Strike [ E ]
- Total damage decreased fromÂ 80/140/220/260/320 [+3.6 Bonus AD] toÂ 80/130/180/230/280 [+3.0 Bonus AD];
- Minion damage increased from 50% to 60% (roughly the same damage after the nerfs);
- Tooltip has been reworked: it now notes the total damage against champions, with a white counter below that notes the damage-per-strike.
Grand Skyfall [ R ]
- Mana cost decreased from 125 at all ranks to 100;
- Mana refund for cancelling the channel has been removed (85 mana refund on live);
- Cooldown after cancelling the channel increased from 10 seconds to 30.
Slice and Dice [ E ]
- Fury gained for hitting non-Champion targetsÂ with Dice decreased from 2.5 to 2;
- Slice now generates 2 Fury for non-Champion targets and 10 for Champion targets (doesn’t generate any Fury on live).
Dominus [ R ]
- While in Dominus, Renekton gains 25 bonus auto-attack range which doesn’t apply for his W;
- Bonus Health changed from 200/400/800Â to 250/500/750.
Permafrost [ E ]Â Â
- Base damage increased from 60/90/120/150/180 to 80/105/130/155/180.
Starcall [ Q ]
- Mana cost decreased from 70/75/80/85/90 to 40 at all ranks;
- Cooldown decreased from 7/6.5/6/5.5/5 seconds to 5 at all ranks;
- Now slows all targets hit by Starcall, regardless of whether they were in the center or not (slow range up from 110 to 265);
- Hitting an enemy Champion now grants Soraka “Rejuvenation” for 4 seconds, which restores 14/16/18/20/22 [+0.1 AP] health-per-second and grants 15% Movement Speed when not moving toward enemy Champions;
- Updated Starcall’s visual effects to better match the area of effect (no gameplay changes to range).
Astral Infusion [ W ]
- Base heal decreased from 120/150/180/210/240 to 80/110/140/170/200;
- Self-heal mechanic on Q vs enemy Champions removedÂ (25/35/45/55/65 [+0.4 AP] on live);
- If cast while under the effect of Rejuvenation, Soraka will give her target “Rejuvenation” for 3/3.5/4/4.5/5 seconds (based on Q rank, buff gives identical stats to the ally);
- No longer able to target minions.
Shadow Assault [ R ]
- Mana cost increased fromÂ 80/90/100 to 100 at all ranks;
- Cooldown increased fromÂ 75/65/55 seconds toÂ 100/80/60.
- Base Attack Damage increased from 52 to 54.
Terror CapacitorÂ [ W ]
- Duration of shield decreased from 7 seconds to 5.
Hyper-Kinetic Position ReverserÂ [ R ]
- Now additionally fears all targets around the swapped target for 1.5 seconds in a 375 radius (after the swap completes).
Excessive Force [ E ]
- Mana cost decreased from 60 at all ranks to 40/45/50/55/60;
- Base damage increased from 5/20/35/50/65 to 10/30/50/70/90.
- Recipe cost decreased from 1380 Gold to 1180 (total cost down from 2900 Gold to 2700);
- On revival, restores either 700 Health or 30% of your maximum health, whichever value is higher.
The Rift Herald
- Devourer stacks granted for killing the Herald decreased from 5 to 2.
Death Blossom Kha’Zix will be available in store for 975 RP.
Elderwood LeBlanc will be available in store for 1350 RP.
Cho’gath has received new spell icons. From left to right: Passive, Q, W, E and R:
Back in November, we announced clubs as part of the 2016 season update. Clubs are a new way to organize chat groups you create and join. They persist through login sessions, making it easy to surround yourself with like-minded League players and get into games with friends you want to throwdown alongside. Persistent chat rooms are just the beginning for clubs — expect to see us in the patch notes again as we build out the system!
Experience required to reach level 30 reduced by half.
Weâ€™ve thought for a while that it takes too long to hit level 30. A leveling system should create a sense of growth and accomplishment, but the reverse happens when the system is overtuned and game-to-game XP gains start feeling like mere drops in the bucket. Though â€œmake leveling fasterâ€ sounds like a simple solution, we needed to be certain a shorter road to 30 wouldnâ€™t introduce worse problems. Chief example: last yearâ€™s permanent discount on a bunch of Tier 3 runes was necessary preparation to ensure new 30â€™s will still be able to afford viable rune setups.
A few months of observation (and a live test in Russia) later, and weâ€™re confident that the updated account leveling curve will provide a markedly improved experience for new players!
- Damage from Jarvan IVâ€™s R – Cataclysm is now properly blocked by spellshields
- Renektonâ€™s W – Ruthless Predator no longer occasionally fizzles
- Shenâ€™s R – Stand United no longer continues channeling through the revive effect of Zileanâ€™s R – Chronoshift
- Tahm Kench can no longer cast R – Abyssal Voyage while rooted
- If Rumble Overheats by casting E – Electro Harpoon, casting a second charge while Overheated no longer causes heat to continue rapidly draining after Overheated ends
- Tentacles spawned by Illaoiâ€™s R – Leap of Faith no longer fail to attack W – Harsh Lessontargets the moment before expiring
- Mordekaiserâ€™s Passive – Iron Man shield is now properly multiplied by the Runic Armor mastery bonus
- Ticks of Dragonâ€™s Wrath (second buff) tower burn no longer proc Elixir of Sorceryâ€™s true damage effect
- Ward Debris no longer tells people itâ€™s a Giant Wolf via tooltip
- Grievous Wounds debuff particles now persist if reapplied longer than 3 seconds
- Zombie Brandâ€™s VO when chasing enemy champions has been restored
- Card indicators for Cutpurse Twisted Fateâ€™s W – Pick a Card have been brightened to be more readable for colorblind players
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me atÂ @NoL_ChefoÂ or e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.